December 12, 2019
Natural Gas Innovation Fund
Today the Natural Gas Innovation Fund™ (NGIF) announced the finalists from two of its funding competitions – Round 4 funding competition for clean technologies for the end-use distribution of natural gas and Round 4 funding competition for clean technologies for the production of natural gas.
In 2018, NGIF launched a $1 million funding call targeting clean technologies solutions for the distribution of natural gas. We are pleased to announce the approval of $542K in funding towards two downstream finalists:
- Enviro Power Inc. is a Connecticut based company that was approved for $292K for the demonstration of a residential natural gas SmartWatt Boiler micro combined heat and power (mCHP) system.
- Hiller Truck Tech Inc. is an Ontario based truck repair and performance facility specializing in natural gas conversions that was approved for $250K for the demonstration of a dual fuel technology using natural gas in heavy duty vehicles.
That same year, NGIF launched a $3 million funding call targeting clean technologies in the development and production of natural gas. We are pleased to announce the approval of $1.33 million in funding towards six upstream finalists:
- Luxmux Technology Corporation is an Alberta based company that was approved for $85K for the demonstration of an on-site continuous emission monitoring system for methane and carbon dioxide at gas production sites.
- GHGSat Inc., is a Quebec based company that was approved for $258k for the demonstration of a satellite-aircraft hybrid system in BC’s Montney region to detect GHG emissions.
- RadMax Technologies, Inc. is a Washington based company that was approved for $72K for the demonstration of their expander-generator-compressor that can capture kinetic and pressure volume energy in pressure letdown applications and convert it to power.
- Saltworks Technologies Inc., is a British Columbia based company that was approved for $224K for the demonstration of a GHG-reducing water management system at a natural gas production site, taking water hauling trucks off the road.
- Winterhawk Well Abandonment Ltd., is an Alberta based company that was approved for $339k to demonstrate emissions reduction at an abandoned well through the operation of their Surface Casing Vent Flow (SCVF) technology.
- Distributed Gas Solutions Canada LP, is a Quebec company that was approved for $351K for the deployment of a natural gas treatment and micro liquefaction technology to displace diesel fuel with LNG for mine haul trucks and for remote/off grid/indigenous communities.
Funding for these finalists is subject to a negotiated contribution agreement.
NGIF currently has five natural gas utilities; ATCO Gas Ltd., Enbridge Gas Inc., FortisBC Energy Inc., Pacific Northern Gas Ltd., and SaskEnergy that are investing in cleantech innovation downstream distribution and consumer solutions; and seven natural gas producers including Birchcliff Energy Ltd., Canadian Natural Resources Limited, Chevron Canada Limited, Perpetual Energy Inc., PETRONAS Energy Canada Ltd., Shell Canada Energy, and Tourmaline Oil Corp. that are investing in cleantech innovation in the upstream natural gas sector.
Please visit www.ngif.ca to see the list of semi-finalists.
I am excited to see our eight Round 4 finalists of the Natural Gas Innovation Fund competition selected from over 40 applications submitted. These companies and the solutions they are bringing to market through cleantech innovation will increase the competitive performance of Canada’s natural gas energy sector.”
John Adams, Managing Director, Natural Gas Innovation Fund
“We started NGIF with a vision of new innovation coming forward in all parts of the natural gas industry. I am pleased to see these companies shortlisted today and look forward to learn more about how their technologies can further our industry’s leading efforts to ensure Canadians have affordable, clean, safe and reliable energy.”
Timothy M. Egan, President and CEO, Canadian Gas Association
NGIF is an industry-led, industry-funded, granting organization created by the Canadian Gas Association that seeks to accelerate cleantech innovation in the production, pipeline transmission, and end-use of natural gas. In so doing, we aim to improve the environmental and economic performance of all in the sector. Our belief is that affordable, reliable, environmentally sound natural gas is a foundational fuel for Canada’s long-term well-being.
Director, Communications and Social Media
Canadian Gas Association
Natural Gas Innovation Fund
613 748 0057